It has been well established that a product comparison table boosts conversions.
Especially for niche sites. (Just getting started? Read up on how to build Amazon Affiliate Sites.)
You can ignore any speculation on my part, and look to major corporations.
Amazon, for example…
Search for a major product line in Amazon, like HD TVs, DSLRs, etc…
You will see a table like this:
Amazon definitely knows how to optimize for conversions.
Let’s look at a few things…
- “Old School” Plugins – TablePress and Websimon
- The “New School” Table Plugin – WP ComPEAR
- Dynamic Tables – Drag and Drop
- Your Choices (with alternatives)
“Old School” Table Plugins (for WordPress)
I learned a bunch from Spencer Haws and Perrin at Niche Pursuits. In both of the niche site projects that they conducted, a large product table was a key component of the success.
The good part is that TablePress is super simple to use and setup. It is also free.
My main gripe with TablePress is that it looks like an old HTML implementation of a table. The styling looks basic to me. If you’re good at CSS, then you can most likely make the table look great.
And if you good at CSS, you already knew that! I don’t know CSS so I am stuck with the default style.
Later, Perrin told me about a nicer looking plugin called, Websimon. I used it on a few sites and I really do like the way it displays.
Unfortunately, it looks like the plugin isn’t supported anymore and is a bit of a security risk.
But it does look great…
This is a brand new plugin by Dave Nicosia of the Ultimate Azon Theme. You will remember him from our How-to Use the UAT Sessions here. (If you haven’t watched the 7 free videos and you’re interested in Amazon Affiliate sites, check them out…)
Get WP ComPEAR now and boost your conversions
The story is that the table, slider, and dynamic-drag-and-drop tables are so popular that Dave had to do something about it.
So, WP ComPEAR is a stand alone plugin that has the table, slider, and dynamic-drag-and-drop tables and it can be used with any WordPress theme.
I am an affiliate for WP ComPEAR so I will get a commission if you purchase the theme. And, if you do, I really appreciate the support!
The tables look great! And, all the things that I don’t like about TablePress are resolved in WP ComPEAR.
Dynamic Tables and More…
These dynamic tables are freakin’ amazing. If I put screen shots in of these tables it won’t make much sense…
So, check out the demos of these tables here. They are drag-and-drop and work great.
See the Drag-and-Drop table in action here. This type of a table can really help keep a visitor on your website for longer. Depending on how you configure the table, it may improve your bounce rate, too.
The slider has been around for a while and can add a little elegance to an otherwise standard-looking page.
Conclusion and Alternatives
We can all agree that tables that compare products have a positive impact to conversions.
- People can see critical information faster.
- People can compare various products more easily.
- People will linger on your site longer in many cases.
Here are your main options
- If you have the resources, check out the WP ComPEAR plugin.
- If you have limited resources, use the TablePress plugin. It is free and simple to use. Any table is better than not having one.
- If you want another option, like if you tried TablePress and thought the interface was bad, you can use old, yet FAST HTML. Go to an HTML table generator and build one by hand. It is just as easy to use as TablePress and it will be less load on you website. (Having fewer plugins on you WP installation is a good thing.)