It has been well established that a product comparison table boosts conversions.
Especially for niche sites. (Just getting started? Read up on how to build Amazon Affiliate Sites.)
You can ignore any speculation on my part, and look to major corporations.
Amazon, for example…
Search for a major product line in Amazon, like HD TVs, DSLRs, etc…
You will see a table like this:
Amazon definitely knows how to optimize for conversions.
Let’s look at a few things…
- “Old School” Plugins – TablePress and Websimon
- The “New School” Table Plugin – Table Labs
- Dynamic Tables – Drag and Drop
- Your Choices (with alternatives)
“Old School” Table Plugins (for WordPress)
I learned a bunch from Spencer Haws and Perrin at Niche Pursuits. In both of the niche site projects that they conducted, a large product table was a key component of the success.
The good part is that TablePress is super simple to use and setup. It is also free.
My main gripe with TablePress is that it looks like an old HTML implementation of a table. The styling looks basic to me. If you’re good at CSS, then you can most likely make the table look great.
And if you good at CSS, you already knew that! I don’t know CSS so I am stuck with the default style.
Later, Perrin told me about a nicer looking plugin called, Websimon. I used it on a few sites and I really do like the way it displays.
Unfortunately, it looks like the plugin isn’t supported anymore and is a bit of a security risk.
But it does look great…
I am an affiliate for Table Labs so I will get a commission if you purchase the plugin. And, if you do, I really appreciate the support!
Table Labs is a newer plugin on the market and it was created by Amazon Affiliate Site veteran, Spencer Haws of Niche Pursuits.
And it’s great — easy to set up and use — you can have a table set up in less than 10 minutes.
You’ll have some Amazon API driven product comparison tables on your site in no time, and hopefully, you’ll see an increase in your conversions right away.
Table Labs WordPress Plugin Features
The plugin solves most of the issues that people cite for plugin features.
- Connects to the Amazon API
- Amazon Associate Operating Agreement Compliant
- Auto-Updating Prices
- Amazon Compliant Product Images –
- Images pulled from the Amazon Advertising API
- Real time analytics
- Prices pulled from the Amazon Advertising API
- Fully Responsive so mobile visitors will like it
- Works automatically with Amazon OneLink Integration
- Works with Any WordPress Theme
Table Labs Looks & Works Great on ALL Screen Sizes
As more and more of your website traffic is coming from mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, you’ll be glad you built your comparison tables with Table Labs.
Table Labs responsive settings are like no other plugin I’ve seen before. These comparison tables are fully mobile optimized.
The main way that Table Labs makes your tables display perfectly on all screen sizes, is by hiding certain columns on certain screen sizes.
Generally, here is the process:
- Search: Search for a product at Amazon. You’ll see prices, reviews, and more, then you select the products you want in your table.
- Design: Pick the table design you want. You can change the color scheme to fit your site. Personally, I like it simple, as you can tell from this site.
- Customize: You can customize the table by adding columns or removing the columns you don’t want. You can also drag the products to order them however you want.
- Insert: You copy the embed code and then paste it into the post. The code will work with WordPress, any theme, and basically any website building tool. No coding is required at all. You just need to copy and paste it.
- Profit: A table will often boost the clicks to Amazon and the conversion rate. So you make more money with the same amount of traffic.
Table Labs Conclusion
If you are an Amazon Associate and looking to add Amazon Compliant product comparison tables to your WordPress sites, then Table Labs is well worth the money. Once you build a table or two, you’ll be cranking them out fast and increasing your conversions.
They are great looking and will definitely add to the slickness of your affiliate sites.
Conclusion and Alternatives
We can all agree that tables that compare products have a positive impact on conversions.
- People can see critical information faster.
- People can compare various products more easily.
- People will linger on your site longer in many cases.
Here are your main options
- If you have the resources, check out Table Labs.
- If you have limited resources, use the TablePress plugin. It is free and simple to use. Any table is better than not having one.
- If you want another option like if you tried TablePress and thought the interface was bad, you can use old, yet FAST HTML. Go to an HTML table generator and build one by hand. It is just as easy to use as TablePress and it will be less load on your website. (Having fewer plugins on you WP installation is a good thing.)