This is the framework that you’ve been looking for…
This resource is for people that are new to Niche Site Project – and even for the long time affiliate marketers that want to learn more.
This page serves as an informational jumping off point for all things related to Amazon Affiliate Marketing with a sprinkle of project management.
I’ll tell you about:
- Affiliate Marketing
- The Amazon Associate Program
- The high level process and Roadmap
- Examples of real affiliate niche sites
Then, I’ll point you to deeper explanations of the process and the roadmap. This page is like an intro and table of contents for the process of creating an Amazon Affiliate Site.
Intro Affiliate Marketing
Here is how affiliate marketing works:
If you recommend a product and someone makes a purchase after using your affiliate link, you get a commission.
The concept is very simple, but it may be new to you. I was right there with you — see, I found the Smart Passive Income Podcast in 2013. I didn’t know a thing about affiliate marketing, or anything related to making money online.
There are a lot of affiliate programs available to marketers. For example, you can work with a big market place like Shareasale who help match up marketers with retail companies.
There are also marketplaces that have a focus on information products and software, like Clickbank or Commission Junction.
Lastly, there are programs with big retailers, like Walmart, Target, and Amazon… My favorite is Amazon.
The Amazon Associate Program
I love Amazon. For most things, I prefer to order online versus going to a physical retail location. And maybe that’s why I like the Amazon Associate program so much.
The official name of the affiliate program is called the Amazon Associate Program.
- People buy a lot of things on Amazon.
- You get a commission for all the products in someone’s order, not just the item that you link to.
- Amazon has extremely diverse range products.
- You can market the products using a blog, YouTube, and several social media type platforms.
- Lower commission rate than some other programs.
- Many rules to follow in the Operating Agreement.
- You can’t use email marketing directly.
Here are the latest commission rate percentages.
This is the Definitive Guide to Create Successful Amazon Niche Sites
This guide is a roadmap that will help you navigate your way to a profitable Niche Site. (See some examples of Amazon Affiliate sites here to get in the mood…)
There is a ridiculous amount of information out there about niche sites. A lot of it is really old and out of date. This page is up to date and I take the time to make changes as time goes on and things change. (I actually got started by following Pat Flynn’s Niche Site Duel – the first one – a full 3 years after it started! Whoops!)
It’s different from other guides because I use Project Management Best Practices to continuously improve the process. I’m a certified Project Management Professional — by the Project Management Institute.
I’ve been a PMP since 2008, and let me tell you a couple things about my experience.
- I worked as a management consultant for a few years.
- I found my way into project management after working on testing, development, requirements, etc… teams.
- I’m really process and systems oriented.
So I try to use templates and make things repeatable. I realized that was missing from most of the material out there on affiliate marketing. It seems like most online marketers don’t start in IT, but a lot of IT people like the idea of online marketing.
This page is here to help you locate the resources you need to master this niche site stuff.
And by “stuff” I mean…
How to Build an Amazon Affiliate Website: Niche Site Process
This is the same process that I used to create my niche sites. I studied Pat Flynn (Smart Passive Income) and Spencer Haws (Niche Pursuits) when I started in mid 2013.
As a reference point, this is the process I used to create a site that made over $31,000 in 2016.
Then over $70,000 in 2017.
Also, I sold a site in 2017 for $235,000. (I covered selling the site on my blog series called Project Go White Hat.)
I’m only mentioning these data points to add credibility to my process. I didn’t just make up a roadmap for the process — I tested it extensively and students and readers have also.
When I started learning about niche sites, there were some so-called experts that really weren’t practitioners. They were just well studied people who started blogs and didn’t really know what they were talking about. So I accepted some advice from people didn’t know what they were doing and most likely just wanted to pitch software and tools to make affiliate commissions. It was like getting directions from an out of towner.
I knew that Pat Flynn and Spencer Haws were experts and practitioners of affiliate marketing. So I studied their processes, implemented them, and put my own spin on the whole thing using my project management expertise.
It’s the same process that countless other niche site owners have used, too.
The process works for a niche site on two-way radios or puppy collars or blenders and anything in between.
The process works because it follows a precise set of phases that you execute in a specific order.
I removed ineffective steps or if there is no ROI or a low ROI for a task, then we don’t do it. Learn the Steps of the Niche Site Process for Amazon Affiliate Websites. The following roadmap outlines the Niche Site Process, or NSP for short.
Print out the roadmap and study it. Post it next to your desk. If you plan on building out a niche website then you’ll reference the NSP often.
When you learn new concepts and tactics, like keyword research & outsourcing, you’ll need to remind yourself where you are in the NSP.
Otherwise, you could be wasting money and, more importantly, wasting your time.
A word of caution: There isn’t much value in understanding how to do keyword (KW) research and competition analysis alone.
There is enormous value (and profit) in understanding how to use these niche selection strategies within the overall Niche Site Process.
That applies to anything in the NSP – You must understand where a step fits within the process, not just how to do it.
To keep the topic focused, we’re mainly considering niche site monetized using the Amazon Associate, the affiliate program for Amazon.
Here are the steps:
- Select a Niche or Market
- Build Out the Framework
- Develop a Content Management Plan
- Plan Your Niche Site SEO
- Execute an Outreach & Promotion Campaign
- Execute an Email Marketing Campaign (if desired)
- Continue Growing the Niche Site (if desired)
Some of the steps may be totally new to you. Don’t worry!
Let’s review each one of the steps right here on the this page. Then, I will point out resources that are available to learn more. You’re going to be an expert compared to 99% of the people out there.
Some of the resources are freely available on the Niche Site Project blog. Other resources are for sale in training courses.
That’s right…I sell some stuff. And, there are affiliate links on this page, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
Dig into this Niche Site Process page.
Review it carefully and pay close attention…
I will reveal the exact system that I use to create profitable Amazon Affiliate websites.
Let’s start at the beginning: Selecting a Niche and Keyword Research…
If you’d rather have a summary explained to you, check out this video that covers this page at a high level.
BONUS: The Perfect Amazon Affiliate Review
The graphic below shows you just how to write the perfect Amazon Product review your your niche website.
Thanks & References
Here are some other great resources for Amazon Niche Sites:
- Link to the Amazon Associate Program
- This is Rohit Palit’s Definitive Guide on Amazon Sites. How I Build, Scale & Flip Amazon Affiliate Niche Sites and Earn 5 Figures Monthly. It goes really in depth and is about 12,000 words long. It’s a must read since Rohit covers each of the following topics:
- How Much Money Is There to be Made?
- What is an Amazon Affiliate Niche Site?
- Finding a Suitable Niche for Your Site
- Choosing a Domain Name
- Choosing a Fast Web Host
- Setting Up Your Niche Site
- Content Strategy for Your Niche Site
- On-Page Optimization for Your Niche Site
- Link Building for Your Niche Site
- Setting Up Social Media Profiles
- Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) Strategies for Niche Sites
- How I Scale Up My Niche Sites
- How I Flip My Niche Sites
- Jon Dykstra runs the Fat Stacks blog and he’s one of the best writers in the Niche Site and Online Entrepreneur space. He’s a former attorney so that’s probably the reason – he thinks and writes clearly. His guide called, How to Make Money with Amazon Affiliate Websites, is a great one because Jon doesn’t actually have any Amazon Niche Sites in his portfolio. Why is that a good thing? He’s not emotionally attached to the ideas so he’s coming at the topics from a nonfiction, journalistic angle. He covers the following:
- What is an Amazon Affiliate Website?
- Can you promote other merchants besides Amazon?
- Why are these sites doing well now?
- Examples of Amazon Niche Sites
- Keyword Research for Amazon Affiliate Website Examples
- Structuring Your Amazon Niche Affiliate Website
- Website Structure
- Sample Website Structure Diagram
- Pages vs./and/or Posts?
- Popular “Reviews” Web Page Structure
- Key Website Features to Include
- Choosing a Domain Name for an Amazon Niche Site
- 2 Plans of Attack
- 1. Start with a product line
- 2. Start with a niche
- Traffic Sources
- Benefits of Amazon Affiliate Websites
- Cons of Amazon Affiliate Websites
- Growing an Amazon Affiliate Site into a Monster Business
- 1. Dominate the overarching niche
- 2. Incorporate e-commerce
- 3. Launch dozens of these sites
- 4. All of the above (not easy)
- Here is the guide by a Brent Hale of Income Addon called, Amazon Affiliates: What I’ve Learned From Selling Over $8,000,000 in Products as an Amazon Associate. He covers 19 points that give you a great background about Brent’s experience which is extensive!
- This is a great and very thorough guide by Al-Amin Kabir, founder of Marketever. Al-Amin has grown into a prominent thought leader in the Amazon Niche Site space. He goes over all these topics and I consider his guide a great resource.
- What is an Amazon Affiliate Niche Site?
- Find A Profitable Niche
- Browse Through Amazon Category
- How To Steal Profitable Niche Keyword?
- Find Niche Idea With TheSweetHome.com Posts
- Check iWriter Profiles’ To Get Niche Site Idea
- Find Niche Idea From TopTenReviews.com Subdomains and Categories
- Proper Keyword Research and Competition Analysis
- Picking the Right Domain Name
- Exact Match or Brandable Domain?
- Domain Extension [Hint: Go for .com]
- How To Get A Brandable Domain Name Idea?
- Domain Name Suffix You Can Use
- Purchasing Super-Fast Web Hosting
- Setting Up The Site (CMS, Themes, Plugins & Configurations)
- What’s The Best Theme For Amazon Niche Site?
- Plugins To Install On Your Amazon Niche Site
- Setup Mandatory Pages / Menu
- Proper Content Creation and Publishing
- Write Exactly What The Audience Is Searching For
- Content Format [Hint: Write At-Least 700 Word Reviews]
- Don’t Forget On-Page SEO
- Some Other Content Considerations To Take Into Action
- Creating Social Media Profiles
- Social Media Strategy For Small Niche Site
- Social Media Strategy For Larger Niche Site
- Do I need paid social media promotion?
- High-Quality Link Building
- Optimizing Conversion Rates
- Split Test A Lot
- Scaling Up Your Site
- Here is the guide by Spencer Haws at Niche Pursuits. I pretty much learned by watching his case studies and studied them. It’s one of the most comprehensive guides out there.
- Here is an interview from Stream SEO. In the post (8k per month with Amazon Affiliate Websites), Servando talks to a guy named Zach. It’s a decent interview, but there are some areas with poor grammar like, “Hey Zach, whats going up?” Maybe that actually does mean something, but it sounds awkward to me. Servando also recommends Market Samurai in the post which is borderline irresponsible since that tool is no longer the best in class for Keyword Research. It sounds like Zach is netting about $5,000 – $8,000 per month after expenses so it’s a good read regardless.
- This is a great post by Mike at Niche Site Azon called How I Made $32,000 in 12 Months with Amazon Niche Sites (And Why They Still Work). It’s well written and spells out why niche sites are great. One part that I really like is how Mike calls out the authority site project at Niche Pursuits that turned out to be a bust.
- My buddy, Jon Haver of Authority Website Income, wrote this post called, How to Setup Amazon Affiliate Websites on WordPress. It focuses on the tools that he uses and how he sets up pages and sites. He also has a guide here about things that will get your site banned by Amazon, complete with a checklist.
- Here is the Niche Pursuits Guide to Increase Amazon Affiliate Earnings. Spencer covers 16 different ways to improve the earnings.
- Pixel’s Marketers Post had some examples of niche sites.
- CloudLiving has 5 examples of Amazon sites.
And if you missed it, you can get about 15,000 keywords here. Click here. That’s over 1000 keywords per site on this page.